Thursday, March 20, 2008

A little too clever?

I am all for the occasional enigmatic church sign to get people thinking, but sometimes I wonder whether they can be a little too clever.

Seen recently around the traps:
"Why on earth is it called Good Friday? Why in hell is it called Bad Friday?"

Our own sign has been fairly straightforward this week: "Easter - a fresh start to life" (other ideas included "Easter: another world is possible", "Easter: God has heard your cries", "Easter: your new life starts this weekend"). Tomorrow, we'll switch to "God is dead" and on Sunday, "He is risen".

Up to twenty points for good new sign ideas.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Nice ideas Byron - i like 'Easter:another world is possible' best. And the God is dead one for tomorrow is really pointy - I wonder how people will react?

byron smith said...

Just quietly, that was also my frontrunner, but I was overruled by a higher power.

::aaron g:: said...

The dead/alive contrast should be interesting.

Stuart Heath said...

In shades of Barney's, I walked past a big Catholic church this morning where they had erected a huge. professionally-designed sign which read, "We're open on Sunday…and have been since Jesus rose."

The café across the street had done a smaller, hand-drawn sign in the same style which said, "Us too."

At least they'd noticed!

James Tuttle said...

Dang that was my idea! Pitty I never executed it.

Anonymous said...

wow