Thursday, January 25, 2007

And again!

Yesterday, I mentioned two lovely suprises. Today I received a third:

Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America edited by Darrell L. Guder (Eerdmans: 1998)
A second collection of essays on contemporary church life and direction recommended by my new rector for our discussions and planning. From the blurb on the back: "What would a theology of the church look like that took serisouly the fact that North America is now itself a mission field? This question lies at the foundation of this volume written by an ecumenical team of six noted missiologists - Lois Brrett, Inagrace T. Dietterich, Darrell L. Guder, George R. Hunsberger, Alan J. Roxburgh, and Craig Van Gelder." I am no expert on the disparate collection of phenomena sometimes called the emerging (or missional) church, but listening and learning to new voices in missiology sounds like a good idea as I start a new position in which evangelism figures prominently.

Thanks to yet another kind donor for helping me prepare for the year(s) ahead. Since he is a blog friend I'll express my gratitude by saying go check out this great post on legalism.

1 comments:

Martin Kemp said...

I'm sorry, but is 'missional' really a word? It's just kinda popped up recently in church circles. I find it irritating. Am I the only one?